Monday, January 23, 2012

Housewife, I am not.

Yikes. Why do my posts keep beginning with "imperfect" and "not". Way to be a Debbie Downer, Kristen!

But seriously, I'm a stay-at-home mom, NOT a housewife. If I were the latter, I would have dinner planned and cooked in the evening. My laundry would be done and not in piles (albeit clean piles, but piles nonetheless). My kid would be dressed every day, instead of being in jammies about 2-3 days a week... ALL DAY.



Picture the sun setting. It's about 6pm, and it's family time. You're playing on the floor with your tots, and your spouse is relaxing. Then, the question. The Question. "What should we do for dinner?". We look at each other and say in unison "Pizza? Pizza.".

That was before the juice cleanse. Today, my caveman hubster is happy with a little piece of steak and garlic bread, or a burger. Or hot dogs. Or anything else containing meat. Or PIZZA.

My Achilles' heel.

If you are reading this blog, you are either considering a juice cleanse, being judgemental about other's cleanses, ON a juice cleanse, or you like reading about healthy experiences and REALLY like pictures (I admit, I like blogs better when they have photos... really!).

Changing your life is HARD. Especially when you are an addict. It can be drugs, alcohol, sex, caffine... or food. My way of thinking after completing this cleanse has changed for the better, and I HATE it sometimes. I don't crave junk food, but I don't necessarily like the taste of healthy dishes. I have spent many sleepless nights thinking about recipes I used to enjoy and tweaking them significantly so they are healthy.

I thought juicing was tough, but the aftermath is a bit tougher.

One good thing (besides GREAT health!) to come of my recipe experimentation? THIS recipe! Enjoy hot, tasty bruschetta? This recipe is the bees knees! The only thing I change is the rosemary. I don't like spices I can feel with my tongue (ever watch Shallow Hal? I'm the best friend, but instead of being picky with women, I'm THAT picky with food). I use dried rosemary, put it in a zip-loc bag and smash it into powder with a hammer. Then I cut the amount in half and voilĂ ! Delicious hot tomato goodness!

3 comments:

  1. You have truly been an INSPIRATION to me! I am starting a 10-day cleanse followed by a 50-day juice for two meals and eat one meal. I cannot thank you enough for giving me the push I needed to get my energy and body back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OR you could just really like reading your blog because they are entertaining and inspirational for restarting your healthy lifestyle! I, too, probably don't count as a "housewife" under those guidelines, but I love staying home with my kids and am constantly playing catch up because I spent the whole day either teaching or playing with them--lol!
    I'm not sure I could do a juice cleanse personally... I would love to try, but I don't have a juicer so I guess I'll have to put it off a while at least. But I do want you to know I love reading your blog! Thanks for all the great ideas! And I LOVE that stuffed tomato recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for saying your kids have been in PJ's all day! LOL! I feel like I am not alone!!

    ReplyDelete